Tuesday 30 December 2014

T-SHIRT QUILT




If you are like me and can't bear to part with those mountains of clothes your little Mr or Miss wore - now you don't need to.. go ahead and make a quilt!  At least you have an excuse to keep them all now :)
I saw one similar on pinterest just after Christmas last year and fell in love with it so thought I would make one each for my boys for the next Christmas.  I started off with good intentions in January and cut out one row of  T-shirts and sewed them together.  I thought I will be super organised and not have to rush to finish it however I didn't touch it again until a week before Christmas when I thought I would never get them finished.  But guess what.... I did!

I just love how they turned out (and so did the recipients!)  They loved them so much they insisted on taking them to every function we had to attend on Christmas Day - and snuggle up in the sweltering mid summer heat! They thought it was pretty cool I used their old t-shirts!   And the told me that night how much they love their blankets!  Actually I didn't only use t-shirts - I used onesies they wore when they were a baby, jeans, taggy blankets and pyjamas!

Now just to clarify I am by no means a great sewer (or even a good sewer) so if I can do it... so can you!
I actually didn't even measure anything so just winged it and cut them slightly larger than the size I wanted them, sewed together row by row.  The one I saw previously on pinterest actually had no border but I liked the idea of including the tshirts in a plain border (with a pattern here and there).

I then sewed the border and sewed that to the completed panel.  For the backing - after a mad dash to Spotlight and not finding the fleece fabric I was after I ended up picking up a really nice super fluffy and super soft throw and cut that to size.  I used a lightweight batting on the inside and once it was all sewn together I sewed around the panel and the edges are almost like a pillow - love it!



Taggy Rag!
Super soft backing
Even some patched up jeans <3
I used different coloured throws for each quilt
Just had to include a onesie


No comments:

Post a Comment